Year 5 (Fire Class)
Welcome to Fire Class!
Welcome to Year 5!
Hello Fire Class!
I hope you all had an amazing summer holiday with plenty of time to relax and have fun! I am so excited for the term ahead and hope you all are too!
Our Autumn Topic is: World War I
Our Big Question is: Do we have a duty to society?
Our concepts are: Oppression, Equality and Power
Our Christian Value is: Respect
During this half term, we will be…
- Reading and analysing poetry written during and about the First World War, and writing our own war poetry. We will also be looking at sections of ‘Private Peaceful’ and writing detailed descriptions of a battlefield scene in English.
- Refreshing our knowledge of place value and the four operations with a focus on mental maths and problem solving in Maths.
- Investigating living things, including animals and plants, and their habitats. We will also be learning more about life cycles and trying to grow our own plants in the classroom in Science.
- Learning about Britain during World War 1 in History.
- Evaluating and creating WW1 cake recipes in DT.
- Talking about mental health and taking care of our bodies in PSHE.
- Exploring how Muslims use the Qur’an and Sikhs use the Guru Granth Sahib in RE.
- Listening to and performing songs about local communities in Music.
- Designing and creating automatic systems in Computing.
- Talking about ourselves in Spanish.
PE kits are needed on Mondays and Fridays.
Weekly spelling tests will be on Mondays (the first one will be Monday 20th Sept.)
Cracking times tables every Monday and Friday (starting w/c 6th Sept.)
I am so excited to see you all and get to know you over our first half term together!
If you would like extra learning resources to explore during this remote learning period:
Please use the Oak National Academy to find a variety of fantastic lessons and activities taught virtually by qualified teachers. The BBC Bitesize website also offers great learning activities.