Welcome to Year 3 in Autumn Term 2!
We have a very exciting half term planned for you. Our topic this half term will be ‘All Around the World’. During this topic we will be exploring the big question: ‘How is the world changing around us?’
This topic has a strong Geography focus and we will be considering: what the world looks like and how it is made up, the continents of the world and its oceans. We will be exploring the human/physical geographical features for our local area and will explore the United Kingdom and Europe.
Excitingly, our trip this half term will be the KS1/2 Cinema Trip to see Dumbo on the 20th November 2019. We will also be exploring the local area of Great Kimble!
In English we will be...
Looking at stories from other cultures by looking into alternative copies of the Cinderella fairy-tale and the story of Cool Gregory. Children will also look into instruction writing, linking to our Design and Technology lessons on pop-ups. We will begin to study informal and formal letter writing styles and will finish the half term by working on shape poetry and calligrams. Alongside English, children will have a weekly Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling lesson and will also benefit from Handwriting and Guided Reading sessions.
In Maths we will be...
Developing our knowledge of addition and subtraction techniques by learning formal column addition and subtraction methods. We will be ensuring that we fully understand the place value of numbers. We will introduce the multiplication grid method for multiplication and the use of chunking for division questions. Children will also study money, recognising the coins/notes and finding correct change. Children will revise their measuring skills and will use these skills to measure and calculate the perimeter of 2D shapes. We will look into 2D/3D shapes and their properties and finally will touch upon fractions of shapes and amounts.
In Science we will be...
Looking into forces and magnets. Children will complete hands on, practical investigations sorting materials into magnetic/not magnetic and will begin to understand how magnets work.
Please refer to the the topic web below to see what we are learning across other subjects.
Home Learning Information
- Learning log grids will relate to our topic for this half term and children can choose to complete 1 task from the grid per week. They should complete the task creatively, presenting their learning in any way they wish.
- All home learning will be handed out to children every Wednesday and is to be returned on the following Monday. We will remind the children of this. However, it is ultimately the children’s responsibility to hand in their homework.
- Each week children will receive a differentiated spelling list of their choice (children only need to learn one of the lists – Hot, Extra Hot or Spicy).
- Spelling tests will take place on a Monday morning.
- Reading practice is essential in Year 3. Please make sure you hear your child read for at least 5 minutes daily. This can be recorded by a parent or the child in the reading record book which will be checked regularly in class. This book can also be used for any communication with the teaching staff.
- Our school day starts at 8.45 am with registration at 8.50 a.m. Please ensure that your child is in the classroom in time for registration. Children arriving after 9.00 a.m. will be marked as an unauthorised absence.
- P.E. is on Tuesday and Friday afternoons and P.E. kits need to be in school at all times.
- We will be visiting Smokey Row on Monday afternoons, whenever possible.
- Our Christian value this half-term is 'THANKFULNESS'.
Thank you for reading about our wonderful topic!
Below you will find further information about Year 3. Please check this site regularly as it is updated often.